Adopted by his grandmother, Madame Souza, Champion is a lonely little boy. Noticing that the lad is never happier than on a bicycle, Madame Souza puts him through a rigorous training process. Years go by and Champion becomes worthy of his name. Now he is ready to enter a world-famous cycling race, the Tour de France. However during this cycling contest, two mysterious men in black kidnap Champion. Madame Souza and her dog Bruno set out to rescue him. Their quest takes them across the ocean to a giant megalopolis called Belleville where they encounter the renowned «Triplets of Belleville», three eccentric female music-hall stars from the 30’s who decide to help Madame Souza and Bruno to search for Champion.
Prizes and Awards :
– Official Selection Cannes Film Festival 2003 (Out of Competition)
– Nomination for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Song at the Oscars 2004
– Nomination for Best Film and Best First Feature Film at the César 2004
– Cesar Award for Best Original Music in 2004
– Fipresci Award (Toronto)
– Jury special Award (Copenhagen)
– Best Foreign Language film (Boston – Film Critics circle)
– Best Animated Feature (Los Angeles Film Critics Circle)
– BBC Four Cinema Awards – Jury Prize (UK)
– Public Award (Stuttgart)
– Selection in Edinburgh, Telluride, Sarajevo, Bucarest, Bangkok, Lisbon, Singapour, Teheran, Buenos Aires, Taipei, Shangai, Durban, Hiroshima.